After much thoughtful consideration of the guidance and guidelines provided by the CDC and Illinois Department of Health, we are taking preventative actions to do our part to help minimize the spread of COVID-19.
We encourage you to do your part to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. If you’re not feeling well, please stay home and seek medical attention as appropriate. Practice good hygiene and hand washing. These healthy habits really do make a difference when it comes to preventing the spread of illness.
Have questions about due dates, fines or other Library-related matters? Check out our FAQ.
Update: June 4, 2020
Curbside Pick-Up is now available at the Central Library and will be starting at our branches on Monday, June 8. Curbside Pick-Up hours are Mondays – Saturdays, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. Click here for complete details.
Update: June 3, 2020
- Due to the economic impact of COVID-19, the Schaumburg Township District Library Board of Trustees approved a $1.5 million abatement on property taxes at a special board meeting held May 29, 2020. Click here for complete details.
- Librarians are available to answer your questions via chat Monday - Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Just click on the green box at the bottom of your screen and ask away!
- All traditional, in-person Library programs are canceled through July 31, 2020.
Update: June 1, 2020
As of June 1, additional essential Library staff have been called back to work on-site. While our buildings remain closed to the public, we will be slowly, safely resuming some services. Staff members are working limited, staggered shifts to help minimize contact with others. Additionally, staff will wear masks while in the Library, follow social distancing guidelines and wash hands frequently and thoroughly.
- We are now accepting returns. Items will be accepted only at the Central Library drop box, located at the north end of the parking lot, Monday - Saturday, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. There's no rush to return your items - due dates have been extended until June 30, and we're a fine free Library so you don't have to worry about late charges. Returned items will be quarantined for a minimum of 7 days. Please note that items will not be checked in until after the quarantine period and will remain listed on your account during that time.
- You can now place holds. Start reserving items now to pick-up with our new Curbside Pick-Up service, available soon. Stay tuned for details about this service, including an exact start date.
- Our phone lines are open. Give us a call at (847) 985-4000, Monday - Saturday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Hours of service and services available are subject to change without notice. We appreciate your continued patience and understanding as our response times may be slower than in the past due to new safety precautions and revised staffing.
Update: May 6, 2020
In response to Governor Pritzker’s Restore Illinois initiative, we’re excited to announce our plan to phase in contact-less services, beginning in June. Click here for complete details.
Update: April 23, 2020
- All traditional, in-person Library programs scheduled for April - June are canceled. If you registered for a program with a fee that was scheduled to take place in April, May or June, you will be refunded. These refunds may not be processed until we reopen.
Update: April 8, 2020
- We've temporarily increased hoopla borrowing limits to 20 per month per Library card.
- Our Reference Desk phone line is now available. Call (847) 923-3322, Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. with your reference questions.
- All traditional, in-person Library programs scheduled for April and May are canceled. If you registered for a program with a fee that was scheduled to take place in April or May, you will be refunded. These refunds may not be processed until we reopen.
- All Meeting and Discussion Room reservations are canceled through May 31.
Update: March 30, 2020
- Our website events calendar is now dedicated to original online programming, recommendations of online activities and more. Check the calendar often - we're adding new listings all the time.
- Have a reference question? We can help! Email @email and we'll reply during normal Library hours.
- Wondering what to read next? Our personalized reading recommendations have gone digital! Email @email with a few authors, titles or a genre you like and we'll send you 2-3 titles to try.
Update: March 23, 2020
- Until further notice, all Library locations will remain closed.
- All Library programs scheduled for April are canceled. If you registered for a program with a fee that was scheduled to take place in April, you will be refunded. These refunds may not be processed until we reopen.
- If you currently have a hotspot checked out, we will leave the service turned on until we reopen and determine an appropriate due date.
Update: March 20, 2020
On the evening of Thursday, March 19, we learned that a member of our community who was in our Central Library building on Thursday, March 12 has since tested positive for COVID-19. Please click here for additional information.
Update: March 19, 2020
- We've temporarily increased hoopla borrowing limits to 10 per month per Library card.
- Digital Library of Illinois (accessed through the Libby or OverDrive apps) has temporarily increased borrowing limits to 10 items per Library card.
- Ancestry's Library Edition is temporarily available from your home.
- Publisher Macmillan has lifted its restrictions on library purchases of their eBooks. We have adjusted our purchasing of these titles accordingly.
Update: March 17, 2020
- We've extended our free wifi signal to the parking lots at all of our facilities.
- We've increased hoopla borrowing limits to 8 per month.
- Purchases of physical items based on your requests are on hold until we reopen. You may still request items, but please know that we will not process these requests or place these orders at this time.
Update: March 16, 2020
We've compiled answers to your most frequently asked questions during the Library's closure.
Update: March 13, 2020 at 2:30 p.m.
All Library locations are closed beginning Friday, March 13 at 5 p.m. We anticipate reopening on Monday, March 30.
Update: March 13, 2020 at 11:15 a.m
- Until further notice, patrons will not accrue fines on items borrowed from our Library.
- All Discussion Room reservations are canceled through March 31.
- Until further notice, we are not accepting donations of materials.
- Until further notice, all toys and games have been removed from public spaces, and the Craft Room is closed for drop-in crafts and coloring.
- Until further notice, laptops will not be available to checkout and use in the Library.
- The Thinking Money for Kids exhibit, scheduled to end March 20, has been taken down early.
Update: March 12, 2020
- All Library programs are canceled through March 31.
- All Meeting Room reservations are canceled through March 31.
- All Outreach Services, including home deliveries and visits to senior living facilities, are canceled through March 31.
- Until further notice, all Library locations will remain open for our regularly scheduled hours of service.
- Additionally, until further notice, we are continuing our increased cleaning regimen and removing many toys from public areas.