Applications will be accepted from Monday, March 18 at 9 a.m. through Sunday, March 24 at 10 p.m. All applications must be submitted online. Paper applications will not be accepted.
Volunteers will be contacted during the week of April 1 to set up a Get to Know You Session (a 10-minute interview).
The program requires volunteers to commit to volunteering two hours per week for five weeks. At least 10 total hours are required to complete the program. Additional opportunities for more hours may be available. We will not be able to accept volunteers who will be unavailable for 2-3 weeks during the program.
Summer Volunteer Squad shifts begin the week of June 3 and end July 31. Volunteers who complete the 10-hour requirement will be invited to an end-of-summer pizza party.
Please be aware that completion of this form does not guarantee a volunteer position with the Library. Positions are based upon the availability of tasks to be completed, availability of staff to supervise, and if the applicant possesses the necessary skills for a volunteer position. We thank you for your interest and we will work to match our needs with the needs of the applicants as best as we can.
Based on the number of applicants we receive, students who live in Schaumburg Township may take priority.
Summer Reading Squad (Mondays-Saturdays): This traditional squad will sign up families for our Summer Reading Challenge, pass out crafts, give away prizes for Summer Challenge finishers, make buttons, and hand out various other activity sheets to children.
STEAM Squad (Mondays, 12:30-2:30 p.m.): Participating on this squad will mean helping implement a STEAM-related activity with youngsters.
DIY Craft Squad (Tuesdays, 10:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.): This squad will help prepare a craft, then help families complete the craft. Artists and crafters wanted!
Ready Reader Squad (Wednesdays, 12:30 - 2:30 p.m.): Patience is key on this squad. You will listen and help sound out words as young readers practice reading out loud. Perfect for a future teacher!
Gamer Squad (Thursdays, 12:30 - 2:30 p.m.): Do you love board games? This squad will play games, like Exploding Kittens, with children at the Library.
Summer Volunteer Squad Expectations
- Sign in and sign out upon arrival and departure.
- Work as scheduled.
- Notify the volunteer coordinator 24 hours in advance if unable to work as scheduled. The three-strike rule applies. After two unexcused absences the third time will result in a forfeiture of participation in the program.
- Maintain a respectful relationship with patrons, volunteers and staff.
- Agree to perform assigned tasks in a professional and friendly manner.
- Be enthusiastic.
- Wear the volunteer t-shirt (provided at Training Summit) and school appropriate jeans, slacks, capris, and skirts. Short skirts, short shorts, cut offs, sweatpants, hats, and bathing suits are not allowed.
- Please wear closed-toed shoes. Sandals or flip flops are not allowed.
Cell Phones, Siblings, Friends
- Cell phones need to be put away while working shift. This means no texting, game playing, watching movies, listening to music, or surfing the web while you are volunteering. Once your shift is over, you are free to use your device.
- Babysitting younger siblings is not allowed while you are volunteering.
- Bringing a friend to your volunteer shift is not allowed.