It's tax season!
You can find federal forms and state forms online. If you need a paper copy, call the Reference Desk at (847) 923-3322 and we can have them ready for you at our Central Library Drive-Up Window. (We have Curbside Pickup at our Hoffman Estates and Hanover Park branches, too.)
If you're looking for filing help, there are options available, often for free dependent on your income level. We've compiled a list of some helpful sources.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)/TCE Site Locator: 800-906-9887
- IRS Free Tax Prep Search
- IRS Free File: Must make $72,000 or less per year
- IRS Interactive Tax Assistant
- MyTax Illinois
- AARP Tax Assistance Locator
Online Assistance for Illinois Residents
- Barrington Area Council on Aging: Call (847) 381-5030 for an appointment
- Ladder Up Tax Assistance Program (TAP): Schedule appointments online or call (312) 588-6900. For individuals who make up to $30,000 per year or families up to $57,000 per year.
- Tax Prep Chicago: Schedule appointments online or call (312) 588-6900.
- Lake Zurich (AARP): Call (224) 326-0605 for appointments and full instructions. Based at The Hope Collective (formerly known as Alpine Chapel), 23153 W. Miller Rd., Lake Zurich.
- Fremont Public Library (AARP): Hosted at Libertyville Civic Center, 135 W. Church St. Libertyville. Call Tom Noller at 224-424-0390 to make an appointment. No walk-ins accepted.
- McHenry County College Tax Clinic: Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (815) 455-8744 to request an interview form.