People of all abilities are welcome at the Library. The Central Library and branches are fully accessible and we provide resources, programs, services and adaptive equipment and technology for those who need them. We're happy to help if you need extra assistance while you're here!
- Large type books
- eBooks and eAudiobooks
- Audiobook CDs
- Audiobook Playaways: Pre-loaded devices for listening to audiobooks
- Search our catalog for materials labeled subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing (SDH) or audio description
- Closed captioning on many DVDs as well as Hoopla and Kanopy streaming services
- Interlibrary loan: If we don't own an item in the format you need, we can request it from another library for you
- On-demand interpreters in 240+ languages available via phone; video chat available for American Sign Language
- A video magnifier at our Central Library to enlarge materials.
- A videophone at our Central Library with Sorenson Video Relay Service; connect to a video remote interpreter to complete your calls or conferences.
- High-contrast keyboards available upon request
- Microsoft Accessibility Tools including Narrator, Magnifier and On-Screen Keyboard
- Assistive listening system in the Central Library Computer Lab
Programs & Outreach
- Accommodations for special assistance at programs will be made upon request, based on availability. If possible, please register at least two weeks prior to the program and call (847) 923-3347 to arrange accommodations.
- Closed captions for online presentations for all ages
- Home Delivery: This service is for Schaumburg Library cardholders who cannot get to the Library. To see if you qualify, fill out a brief form or contact Outreach Services at @email or (847) 923-3392.
- Talking Book and Braille Service: We work with the Illinois State Library to provide audio and braille library service via mail or digital download. Contact Renee Anderson at @email or (847) 923-3388 to determine your eligibility and get help signing up.
- Before you visit, take virtual tours of our Central Library, Hanover Park Branch and Hoffman Estates Branch
- Before you visit our Central Library with your kids, read our social story so you know what to expect at the Library and in the Youth area
- All Library locations are fully accessible
- Wheelchairs and electric scooters available at our Central Library
- Drive-Up Window at our Central Library; Curbside Pick-Up at our Hoffman Estates and Hanover Park Branches
- Service animals are welcome
- Magnifying glasses are available at public desks upon request
- Sensory inclusive kits (including fidgets, headphones and other items) are available at the checkout desks at all locations upon request
- A quiet/mother's room is available in the Youth area of our Central Library for sensory breaks, breastfeeding mothers and prayers